To have strong and healthy teeth, you must have strong and healthy gums to support them. Gums are the soft tissues that protect and support your teeth. Like any living tissue, gums are vulnerable to inflammation, infection, and disease, which can have a harmful impact on your oral health.
In this blog post, we cover the signs and symptoms of gum recession and what we offer at Sean Abidin, DDS & Vanessa Cao, DDS, to support healthy gums.
Warning Signs of Gum Recession
Some of the most telltale signs of gum recession include:
- Red, swollen, and bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Shrinking gums
- Loose and wiggly teeth
- Exposed tooth roots
- Teeth that appear to have grown longer
What Causes Receding Gums?
Gum recession occurs when inflamed or infected gums pull back from the teeth. As the gums separate from the teeth and form pockets that bacteria can become trapped in, the teeth are more likely to feel sensitive, develop decay, and fall out.
There are a few reasons why you might be experiencing receding gums. For example:
- If you don’t brush and floss your teeth every day, bacteria will accumulate along your gums and cause irritation.
- Brushing your teeth too hard will damage your delicate gum tissue.
- A diet high in sugar can encourage bacteria growth and subsequent gum irritation.
- Smoking and tobacco use suppresses your healing ability and decreases blood flow in your gums.
- Crooked teeth or a misaligned bite can be difficult to keep clean, resulting in bacteria accumulation and gum irritation.
What to Do If You Have Receding Gums
If you notice that your gums are receding, set up an appointment with Sean Abidin, DDS & Vanessa Cao, DDS, as soon as possible to prevent any further damage to your gums, teeth, and jawbone!
Our team will carefully examine your mouth and gums to determine if you have gum disease and develop a personalized treatment plan to improve the health of your smile. Treatment options include deep cleanings, antibiotics, periodontal therapy, or even advanced restorative treatments depending on the extent of your gum recession.
We also offer a variety of other dental services to meet all your unique oral healthcare needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with Sean Abidin, DDS & Vanessa Cao, DDS, in Westerville, OH.