Brushing your teeth does not have to take a large amount of time out of your day. However, you need to do a good job if you want the best results. Some brushing tips can help you improve your daily oral care habits.
1. Use the correct motions when brushing your teeth. Circular motions will produce the best results. Avoid up-and-down motions that can push residue and bacteria onto your gums. Brushing sideways can cause residue and bacteria to become lodged between your teeth. Circular brushing is also gentler on your teeth.
2. Give your teeth individual attention. If you cannot brush each tooth individually, focus on two or three. If you try to brush more at a time, brushing will not be as effective.
3. Take enough time for brushing. If you have a full set of teeth, plan three minutes for each brushing session. A handy tip everyone in your family can use is to time your brushing with an egg timer. This can make brushing fun, especially for the children.
4. Notice your teeth have multiple surfaces. Do not be tempted to brush only the fronts of your teeth. You need to clean the backs of your teeth and between your teeth every time you brush.
5. Dental tips involve more than your teeth. It is called a toothbrush, but it is meant to be used on other parts of your mouth. Every brushing session should include gently cleaning your gums, your tongue, and the roof of your mouth. These habits can keep your teeth and gums healthy. When you clean your entire mouth, you can prevent or eliminate bad breath.
Family members of all ages can benefit from these 5 brushing tips. When you practice them every day, and teach them to your children, everyone in your family can have dental health.